Who we are
We are a different kind of bank
We are BDC, the Business Development Bank of Canada and the financial institution devoted to Canadian entrepreneurs.
- We support entrepreneurs in all industries and at all stages of development from business centres across Canada and online at bdc.ca.
- We’re committed to the long-term success of Canadian entrepreneurs and we understand that a business is more than just dollars and cents.
- We complement the role played by private-sector financial institutions and have been serving Canadian entrepreneurs since 1944.
- We are a financially sustainable Crown corporation and we operate at arm’s length from our sole shareholder, the Government of Canada.
5 reasons to choose BDC
1. Have an impact and support Canadian entrepreneurs
Our mission is to help Canadian businesses thrive by offering them financing, capital and advisory services. You’ll be putting all your skills into action to help businesses move to the next level of growth.
2. Be entrepreneurial about your career
BDC offers you learning opportunities in line with best practices. Through either workshops or communities of practice, you can also learn on the go using your mobile device anytime, anywhere! Right from the start, you’ll have access to innovative technologies.
3. Achieve work/life balance
With us, you’ll be able to achieve the work/life balance you’re looking for, thanks to competitive working conditions and flexible benefits.
4. Be part of a winning, diverse team
Diversity is one of our priorities. You’ll be part of a dynamic team that lets you turbocharge your career by going beyond the limits of industry best practices.
5. Work for a B Corp
BDC was Canada’s first financial institution to obtain the B Corp certification. To be certified, a company needs to meet high standards of purpose, social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability.
How Superior Strategies became one of the few 100% Indigenous-owned PPE suppliers in Canada
Learn how this Thunder Bay supplier overcame its cash flow problem to keep sales going at a crucial time during the pandemic
In 2008, Jason Thompson was a supervisor at a lumber sawmill when prices crashed and business took a downturn. Eager for a change, he went back to school, studied human resources, and opened his own consulting business in Red Rock Indian Band, an Ojibwe First Nation in Northwestern Ontario. He began offering project management as well as health and safety training.
A decade of consulting later, Thompson ventured into the supply business; he began selling office supplies, industrial workwear, medical supplies and cleaning products. He also expanded his business by adding two locations in Thunder Bay.
From competitive compensation to equal benefits programs, we invest in every employee’s success.
Everyone at BDC believes that diversity is one of our greatest strengths. We’re proud to have been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for over a decade.