AFOA Canada was founded as a not-for-profit association in 1999 to help Aboriginal people better manage and govern their communities and organizations through a focus on enhancing finance and management practices and skills. AFOA’s premise is that effective management is key to building social and economic prosperity and essential to successful Aboriginal governance.
After fourteen years in operation, AFOA Canada has become the centre for excellence and innovation in Aboriginal finance and management. It is the only organization in Canada that focuses on the capacity development and day-to-day needs of those Aboriginal professionals who are working in all areas of finance and management, administration, band management, and program management – the Leaders of today and tomorrow.
AFOA Canada’s premise is that the key to successful self-determination, creating a better life for Canada’s Aboriginal people and a better future for the next generation lies in improving the management skills of those responsible for the stewardship of Aboriginal resources.
We will do this well by applying our principles and values that guide us to be:
- Responsive to the interests of our members, chapters, communities and partners;
- Relevant, timely, accurate and clear in all of our information, programs and services;
- Collaborative in building relationships, addressing issues, and meeting needs; and
- Excellence through the high quality standards that strengthen our credibility and impact.
AFOA Canada achieves it’s mandate by:
- Building capacity aimed at enhancing competency and skills development in financial management, general management, program management and leadership,
- Publishing the Journal of Aboriginal Management (JAM), Canada’s only professional Aboriginal management journal,
- Professional development training,
- Development of Aboriginal financial management, accounting and reporting standards,
- Certifying Aboriginal Financial Managers,
- Certifying Aboriginal Professional Administrators,
- Promoting excellence and professionalism in Aboriginal Communities and organizations,
- Promoting of best practices,
- Encouraging Aboriginal youth to enter into the finance and management professions,
- Providing a forum to support our members through sharing of knowledge and experience,
- Supporting Aboriginal accountability and self-determination efforts.
We serve our members’ professional needs so that they can help their organizations and communities maximize resources, strengthen decision-making and governance, enhance the delivery of programs and services and meet accountability requirements. We serve our members’ needs so that they can improve their skills and knowledge, grow professionally, and progress through their careers.
AFOA membership spans the country from the Pacific to the Atlantic to the Arctic. AFOA members are leaders in their communities, organizations, and companies. What binds them is their commitment to financial and management excellence. They are the people who get things done. You can be among them.
AFOA Canada Vision – AFOA Canada is the centre for excellence, information and certification in Aboriginal management.
AFOA Canada Mission – Building management proficiency and connections that enhance effective Aboriginal governance, administration, and self-reliance.